Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Rogue Mission

Today it starts. Today I'm going to begin the Rogue Mission, the attempt to complete Rogue and/or Nethack without using any of the available resources, clues, hints, or spoilers. I want to ascend... something I've never accomplished in this game or its clones (Moria and UMoria were versions I played a great deal back in the 90's).

What's amazing is the longevity of these games. Yeah, I know... the interface isn't pretty by modern standards. Turn-based games have been passe for a decade or more. And there's a limited number of monsters that can be represented by capital and non-capital letters. But people are still playing them, coding them, debugging them, and trying to make them better. That's thirty continuous years of development and expansion, which is pretty nifty in my book.

So... I've loaded Rogue on the iPhone (yes, they just released an iPhone version... see what I mean!). I have Nethack on the computer. I'll play as often as I can, as much as I can, and post the results here.

Let's see if I can make it all the way through this time and finish before another thirty years have gone by....

No comments:

Post a Comment