Tuesday, March 23, 2010

I tried, I really tried....

I've spent all day thinking about what to post today.  Something about games... something funny... something intellectually stimulating with just a hint of boldness to it, the rich oak combining in the back of your throat with the tang of hazelberries... ok, too many wine reviews.

But no matter how hard I try, it comes back to this:  today President Obama signed the health care bill, and for the first time in our history our good health is now treated with the same equality as our right to free speech, our right to keep and bear arms, our right to worship as we wish. 

I really want to be fair.  I want to talk about how there are many people upset about this bill, upset that people are being "forced" to get insurance (as if any idiot really wants to pay for their health bills alone), upset that it costs so much (but does pay for itself).  I do want to be fair to them, the very vocal group who has tried to shout down every one else and control this discussion.

But all I can say is:  YES!!!  About freaking time!!!!  Health care is a RIGHT, not a benefit for those who can afford it.  My good health is not a corporate profit margin, to be accepted when I'm doing well, then dumped the minute I get sick so I do not drag down stock prices.  Who ever came up with the concept of turning medicine into an industry was a sick, messed up individual who should have been tried and hung for treason to the whole concept of the American way of life.

The Constitution says:  "The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people."  Let us view health care now as another right that we have, one our government must retain and support amongst its people.  As with Social Security and Medicaid/Medicare, people will soon grow used to the new entitlement and be clamoring for Congress to leave it alone.

Congress did something historic.  Who knew they still had it in them.....

No comments:

Post a Comment