Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Et tu, EA?

Ok, so no one will confuse me with Julius Caesar.  The closest I've come is visiting Caesar's Palace while in Vegas, and that will never be confused with the real ancient Rome.  Nor will I, pigment and bank challenged that I am, be confused with a Roman emperor.  An emperor penguin maybe.  But I digress...

So it seems EA has taken it into their greedy little hearts to stab at us from hell's heart.  If you buy a used EA game, you'll have to repay for online access.  Give them $10 bucks, and you too can enjoy online gaming to your little heart's content.  Until you buy the NEXT used game, and have to repeat the process.  Apparently it wasn't enough that they got rich selling the game the first time around, now they are finding new and exciting ways to job you on the back end.  It's like buying a copy of Madden 2002 in 2010 and having to pay another $10 so you and your friends can squabble over who is going to get Ryan Leaf as their starter.

I really have nothing against making money.  In fact, it's one of my favorite things, right after sex.  If I could do both at the same time.... ahem... so anyways, making money is a good thing.  But I really feel it's unfair to expect people to have to pay more then the fair market value of your used product to enjoy all the features of it that were built into it in the first place.  Online multiplay is still a selling point of a game, and as such should be considered an included feature, not an add on that has to be repurchased when the merchandise changes hands.

But alas, having no power I'm sure I will have little luck in persuading EA to do the noble thing and let the used market do it's thing.  After all, aren't they rich enough?  As for me, I'll just keep waddling along, doing my best to build an empire to rival EA.

At which point I'll stab you all in the heart and steal your purses.  I'll chase you 'round the moons of Nibia and 'round the Antares Maelstrom and 'round Perdition's flames before I give your money up!

No comments:

Post a Comment