Monday, September 13, 2010

Why I Would Love Working for the Peace Corp

It's something I wish I had done when I was fresh out of high school.  Instead, I joined the military, wasting time in the Army Reserves before realizing I had gained nothing from it.  No money for college, no career that was useful to my future, nothing but some bad memories of basic training and a few good memories of advanced training in Texas.  I don't regret the decision, but I certainly did not realize the opportunities I was missing out on otherwise.

I should have been a Peace Corp volunteer.  I should have gone overseas, working in another country with people who have real needs.  That would have been something useful, noble, something with real purpose to it.  Perhaps it's only something I could have done after a few years of college, but I would have made sure to make that happen.  When I have worked jobs that are focused not on making huge profits but on making people or places better, I have always felt a better sense of self for it.  A sense of purpose to what I do.

That's why I recently submitted a resume to work as a Field Tech doing IT work for the Peace Corp and their staff and volunteers (which, by the way, you can find another copy of HERE, Peace Corp hiring person).  It's time I did a job I was truly proud of, that is meaningful to me and to others.  Even if it's only for a year or two, it's an experience I would be proud to have. 

So... if you or anyone you know works for the Peace Corp, have them look out for my resume.  I know it past by pre-screening and has made it to the desk of the hiring manager, but I'm equally sure there are tons of good resumes that were submitted.  I just hope I'm lucky enough to get noticed and have a chance to interview for what I consider a wonderful opportunity for any individual to experience.  A chance to make the world just a little bit better.

I'm here, Peace Corp... ring me up!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment