Friday, March 16, 2012

To Write or Not To Write

I love my job, I really do.  I'm a geek with great customer service skills and the ability to figure out almost any PC problem (primarily due to my immense google-fu... I give credit where credit is due).  So a recent opportunity to be promoted was something I jumped up, a chance to show I was more than just a pretty face with clever fingers. 

I fell short.  I think that was the first time in my life I failed to obtain a job or promotion I had attempted.  Needless to say, it's been more than a bit of a bummer, so I've had a few days now to really take stock of where I'm at, where I'm going, and how much time I have left in this short life to make an impact.

1. Clearly I love my job and won't be leaving, regardless of not getting the promotion.  I'll return to being a very good technical geek, which I love, and hopefully other opportunities will open up.

2. Meanwhile, being able to shuck the straight jacket of managerial responsibility means I can focus on other goals simultaneously.  I've cracked open some of my C++ books in the hopes I can once again tackle object-oriented programming and figure out why my usually well rounded noodle has had problems working with that context.

3. And I shall renew - again - my efforts at writing, both blogging and stories.  I KNOW I've got great stories in me, I just need to execute (ie, I actually need to write them and finish them).

And Happy Saint Patricks' day a day early.  As an Irish-American, let me let you all in on a little secret: most Irish don't give a crap about Saint Patty's day, EVERY day is a great day to get drunk!  Why make excuses??? 

Onward!

No comments:

Post a Comment